To the north-west of Longford town on the N4(T3) is Castleforbes, seat of the Earls of Granard. An imposing castellated mansion dating to the seventeenth century, it was described by Nicholas Dowdall Esq, in 1682 as a fair and spacious house with lovely gardens of pleasure. Permission to view Castlforbes demesne must be obtained in advance. The nearby village of Newtownforbes takes its name from that of the Earls family, they having resided in the region since 1619. The village church, built in the late seventeenth century, is one of the few Regency buildings of its type in the county.