Richmond Harbour is the starting point of the Royal Canal and Royal Canal Greenway and is a location on the new National Famine Way. It is located in the village of Cloondara about 8 kilometres from Longford Town. It is the location where the River Shannon, River Camlin and The Royal Canal meet. Completed in 1817, it is still in use today for the mooring of boats from the Shannon via the Camlin River. A lock connects the harbour with the River Camlin, a tributary of the River Shannon. A short distance from the harbour, the 1 kilometre long Clondra Canal and Lock links the River Camlin with the River Shannon. It is also possible to travel upstream along the River Camlin for about 5 kilometres to where it joins the River Shannon at the southern end of Lough Forbes.
The harbour can admit vessels up to 75 feet long and 14′ 6″ beam while a five foot depth is maintained over the upper sill of the lock. The dry dock can admit any vessel capable of passing through the lock. When restoration work was completed in 1969, it was decided to refurbish the disused Cloondara Canal and lock. The canal is carried in a very deep cutting, portions of which had collapsed. The lock and most of the canal were dewatered and repairs carried out in the dry. New lock gates were built and fitted and repairs carried out at the lock chamber.
The completed works at Richmond Harbour and the Cloondara Canal are a valuable asset to the Shannon Navigation. They have added considerably to the interest of cruising in the area and have restored the focal point of the pleasant and lovely village of Cloondara. The harbour is also a very good kayaking area. The bar and guesthouse The Richmond Inn sits on the waters edge and is an ideal place to stop for a bite to eat whilst in the vicinity.