Skip to main content Skip to main menu

King Harman Memorial Clock Tower

King Harman Memorial Clock Tower in the centre of the village of Kenagh was constructed in 1878 to commemorate Laurence Harman King-Harman, the local landlord, who died three years previously.

This striking limestone structure was designed by Sir Robert William Edis, a distinguished London-based architect who later worked at Sandringham House, one of the British royal residences.

King-Harman

The clock was manufactured by John Moore and Sons of Clerkenwell, London. The head of Laurence Harman King-Harman is in relief on the lower part of the tower, and beneath it is an inscription in which he is described as ‘a good landlord and an upright man’.

Laurence Harman King-Harman (1816-75) lived at Newscastle House near Ballymahon. He owned the largest estate in Co. Longford, which consisted of almost 29, 000 acres at the time of his death.

The family also had an estate in Co. Roscommon, with a residence at Rockingham, near Boyle. Laurence was brother of Robert, 6th Earl of Kingston. King-Harman was a resident landlord and a careful estate manager with an interest in improvements. He was succeeded by his son Col. Edward Robert King-Harman.

The tower is highly-visible from the pavement.

We are here ↓

Arrow-up

News

funding_group

This project was assisted by Longford Local Community Development Committee, Longford Community Resources Clg. and Longford County Council through the Rural Development Programme (LEADER) 2014-2020 which is part-financed by the EU, "The European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development: Europe investing in rural areas" and the Department of Rural & Community Development.       The European Commission.


funding_group
longford_tourism
heartlands