O'Higgins/Barraghbeg Heritage Trail
A peaceful linear 4.3 kilometre walk passing through farmland which might be wet in winter months. The area is rich in biodiversity and wild life and passes alongside the river which is suitable for fishing.
The walk is named after William O’Higgins, Bishop of Ardagh and Clonmacnoise 1829 – 1853. He was born at Barraghbeg in 1794, and whose life spanned some of the most turbulent times of our history including the famine. Bishop Higgins conceived the idea for, and laid the foundation stone in 1840 (from the ruins of St. Mel’s old Cathedral at Ardagh), for St. Mel’s Cathedral in Longford Town in the presence of 40,000 people.
*Download/print map here*
Points of Interest: Drumlish is home to the very popular Marquee in Drumlish Festival which has been held annually since 2009 and plays host to a wide variety of Irish and International musical acts. Drumlish is also the location of a historic mill, believed to be at least 200 years old or more, though an earlier one may have been on the site of the nearby dwelling house.
Nearby Corn Hill Walking Trail is a lovely hill walk of mixed terrain offering spectacular views of the county. The views from the summit of Corn Hill are spectacular where nine counties are visible, at 278 metres tall it is the highest point in Longford.